Any burncd changes

Jerold McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Sep 6 11:52:39 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I have read through release notes, etc and not seen anything, but I am
wondering if there have been any changes in recent FreeBSD releases -
especially 6.xx, (but possibly 5.xx), that would affect burncd(8) and how
it works - or if it works.

I have a machine that was at about 4.11 and burned CDs on it with no
problem using burncd.  Nearly all of these were boot/install CDs - including
the one to install FreeBSD 6.1.   But immediately after installing 6.1, I
can no longer successfully burn a CD.  It seems to go through the motions
but then nothing seems to get on the CD.

I would just write this off as a CD burner gone bad except I have another
box
here that doesn't seem to want to burn a CD using burncd now that it has
been upgraded to 6.0 and this machine has rarely been used for making CDs.

Anyway, it is still probably a failing burner, but I want to make sure I am
not overlooking something that would account for this happening just as I
did the upgrades - actually fresh clean installs.

Thanks for any information you might have,

////jerry    Jerry McAllister    jerrymc at msu.edu