New widescreen monitor, old radeon card - will this not work?

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 08:21:43 PDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Oliver Iberien <odilist at sonic.net> wrote:
> Yes, you'd think, but no. I got a $50 GeForce 6200 LE/256M card and it works,
> as long as I use the proprietary driver. With the standard nv driver that
> xorgconfig came up with, it was just as bad as the Radeon.
>
> The nvidia config utility did not add extra lines to the config file,
> incidentally.

It wouldn't, because it doesn't know what kind of monitor you have.

Take a look at the modline in this post to see what I'm talking about.
I don't remember what that all means, but that card should be able to
support that resolution.

Note: The monitor I'm using now, ViewSonic vx2025wm, shows completely
different behavior whether I use the VGA or DVI input; for example, MS
Widows simply would not recognize that it was capable of 1680x1050
until I got the DVI input to work. ( To get the DVI to work I had to
shut everything down, unplugged, for a few minutes and boot it all
back up wit the DVI cable, only, installed.)

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--