Trouble installing 6.1 on an old machine

Bob bob at a1poweruser.com
Mon Sep 4 04:54:59 PDT 2006

I have same problem with my 10+ year old server boxes.

 First the boot bios scan has changed between 4.11 and 6.0. You can upgrade
your old PC's bios. In most cases the mfg does not support the motherboard
any more so chance of getting upgrade to burn the bios chip is most
un-likely. You can get 3rd party replacement bio chip from www.umicore.com
for around $80.00.

Second problem is the size of the 5.2 and newer FreeBSD install kernel. It
has gotten bigger and will not function properly on pre-2000 equipment.
Solution is to take the hard drive from old PC and plug into newer box and
do install. After base system install is completed just return hard drive to
old pc and boot from it. Will work fine from that point on.  This works fine
on my 386 cpu 33 mhz server pc manufactured in 1994 and its currently
running FreeBSD 6.1.

Good luck.