Problesm with X application default

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Sun Sep 3 12:32:22 PDT 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 15:33, stan wrote:
> I'm building a replacement machine for a long serving workstation
> that finally died a hardware death.
>
> I've built a new machine updated to 6 CURRENT, and installed the
> KDE metaport. I have a customize XTerm application defaults
> file from a backup of the old machine. However, I can't seem to get
> xterm to honor it. I'm running xterm from teh menu bar in KDE
> with alauncher, and the -ls command line option.
>
> I use ksh, and I have my .profile set up to set the following
> environment variable:
>
> PPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/:/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults:/home/
>stan/.X11/app-defaults

[---snip---]

> But despite that the Xterm comes up in white with black text. So,
> I put the same file in  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults, but it
> still does not honor it
>
> Can anyone sugest what I am doing wrong?

It's more to do with how KDE handles it, I think.  From what reading I did
about this a while ago, you need to tell KDE to read your X settings as it
starts.  I have a little sh script in ~/.kde/Autostart/load_Xdefaults.sh:

#!/bin/sh

[ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb ] && /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb -load $HOME/.Xdefaults

Looking at your XTerm file, you should be able to load it in much the same
way.

HTH

Dan

--