samba problem; member server can't authenticate

Henrik Hudson rhavenn at rhavenn.net
Sun Sep 3 11:46:07 PDT 2006

Hey List-

I tried the Samba lists...but didn't get any tips there..so possibly a freebsd
issue? Dunno, anyways....

I have a Samba PDC and a Samba Member Server.

The Samba PDC works fine, but the problem is that the Member Server can't
authenticate users and let me browse file shares and i always get the error:
NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

the wierd thing is that sometimes:  SMBCLIENT -L ECWTEST
will work and list my shares. However, the first time I actually try to
authenticate a user to browse a share the whole shebang stops and I get the
above error. I'm using Konqueror and smb://ecwtest/sharename to connect.

I don't need to make any PAM changes to allow just file / share authentication
do I?

One thing, the member server is a new rebuild of a machine with the same name
and the PDC is a upgrade using the TDBs, etc.. from backup. I did remove the
machine account from the PDC and then re-added it using net join and that
worked fine.

I ran through the test at the back of the "offical book" and all of them work
except the  actual sharing and the nmblookup -d 2 '*' on the member server
and of course the smbclient specific ones.

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g work on the member server and i can chown files to
users only in the PDC in the samba users file. I just can't authenticate.

the only error I'm seeing is in log.wb-ECW and its:
[2006/09/03 12:54:12, 1]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu(625)
  cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR
received from remote machine ECWSERVER pipe \lsarpc fnum 0x70a8!
[2006/09/03 13:17:04, 1]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu(625)
  cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR
received from remote machine ECWSERVER pipe \NETLOGON fnum 0x7549!
[2006/09/03 13:38:05, 0] nsswitch/winbindd_dual.c:child_read_request(49)
  Got invalid request length: 0
[2006/09/03 13:38:12, 1]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu(625)
  cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR
received from remote machine ECWSERVER pipe \lsarpc fnum 0x7104!

Here is my setup:

PDC: ECWSERVER ; FreeBSD 6-stable and samba-3.0.23b,1
member: ECWTEST ; freeBSD 6-stable and samba-3.0.23b,1

Both servers are on the same network and have static IPs. i am able to ping,
etc.. using the netbios names

my /etc/nssswitch.conf is the same on both:
group: files winbind
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files winbind
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

PDC smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = ECW
netbios name = ECWSERVER
passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/etc/samba/private/passwd.tdb
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
domain logons = yes
wins support = yes
#server string = Samba %v on %L
server string =
security = USER
encrypt passwords = yes
disable spoolss = Yes
guest ok = yes
follow symlinks = no
case sensitive = no
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
username map = /usr/local/etc/samba/smbusers

name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
time server = Yes

#printing options
#printing = cups
#printcap name = cups
#load printers = yes
#show add printer wizard = Yes
#printer admin = @ecwadmins, at wheel

#user scripts
add user script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -n %u -g
ecwusers -s /usr/sbin/nologin -c ""
delete user script = /usr/sbin/pw userdel -n %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/pw groupadd -n %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/pw groupdel -n %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/pw usermod -n %u -g %g
#add machine script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -n %u -g
100 -s /usr/sbin/nologin -d /dev/null

#user directories
logon home = \\%N\%U\
logon drive = H: