System down, won't come up (was: Oh, no....)

Gary Kline kline at sage.thought.org
Sat Sep 2 18:11:02 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 08:33:44AM -0700, Atom Powers wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >On Friday,  1 September 2006 at 20:30:24 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>
> >>       Well, gang, for about the only time in ten or eleven years, my
> >>       FreeBSD has kernel crashed.   The kernel err is 18 I believe a
> >>       int divide by zero.  I backup most stuff regularly but still have
> >>       several megs of data files.   Can I fix this with a fixit disk?
> >>       Or is all hope lost?
>
> If it's only the data you want, try a FreeSBIE boot disk. That will
> give you access to the file system/network, so you can recover your
> data.

	Where can I get this FreeSBIE boot disk?  Is it a floppy or can I
	burn a CDROM?  I have a "burner" on my new Ubuntu box, but have
	never burned anything but an audio CD.

	<OPINION>

		This is one of the myriad things I've never heard of,
		but sounds like it should be shipped with each CD boxed
		set...

	</OPINION>

	gary

--