clock running too fast

Bill-Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Mon Oct 30 20:42:58 UTC 2006

At Mon, 30 Oct 2006 it looks like Thierry Lacoste composed:

> Thank you.
>
> I tried TSC, ACPI-fast and i8254 but I still have the same problem.

I have a 64-bit box that for some reason started running "fast"...
real fast and for the sake of simplicity, just have a cronjob run
ntpdate to various timeservers till I get this figured out.

I imagined something wrong with the motherboard so the cronjob
entries looked very appealing :)

> On Sunday 29 October 2006 15:46, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> > > On one of my servers running 6.1-RELEASE-p10 I cannot keep the clok
> > > synchronized using ntpd. AFAICS this is certainly because the clock
> > > is running way too fast (about one second per minute).
> > >
> > > After I run ntpdate then ntpd the clock is drifting and /var/db/ntp.drift
> > > contains 0.00.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to slow down the system clock (something like tickadj
> > > under some linux distributions) ?
> >
> > Take a look at "sysctl kern.timecounter", and choose another clock from the
> > list of choices (by setting kern.timecounter.hardware to something else in
> > the list of choices).
> >
> > If you are using TSC now, especially on a dual-CPU system, try using
> > ACPI-safe or i8254 instead.  If you are using the ACPI timecounter, try
> > looking for a BIOS update for your hardware; perhaps that might fix the
> > bogus clock.

Bill Schoolcraft <*> System Engineer
                  ~
"The loser  isn't the one who finished last;
 it is the one who never entered the race."