Is there any highly compressed filesystems [like squashfs] supported directedly by FreeBSD?

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 16:18:12 UTC 2006

Sherry Zhang wrote:
> Vince
> thx for reply, I think it use cloop. and I know how to mount cloop in
> GNU/Linux
> just mount -t cloop will do . but how can I do it in freebsd?
> Sherry Zhang

Freesbie does use geom_uzip (i had a quick look at their wiki)
Been a while since i used linux's loopback fs stuff. But i think the
equivalent is mdconfig. To manually mount (not use the script embedded
in the image mkuzip makes) a uzip image, try
kldload geom_uzip
mdconfig -af $uzip_file
mount -t cd9660 /dev/$created_md_device /$mountpoint

or as the script in the created uzip image rather more succinctly puts it
#!/bin/sh
#V2.0 Format
m=geom_uzip
(kldstat -m $m 2>&-||kldload $m)>&-&&mount_cd9660 /dev/`mdconfig -af
$0`.uzip $1
exit $?

hope this helps.

Vince