Is there any highly compressed filesystems [like squashfs] supported directedly by FreeBSD?

Sherry Zhang yuleopen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:33:39 UTC 2006

Hi,all:

We built a software for GNU/Linux system and use squashfs file system to fit
1.5G files into a single CD. to use the CD, just
mount -o loop /dev/cdrom /mnt
mount -o loop -t squashfs /mnt/file.squash /the/path
will do the job.

Now we also want include the BSD binary. I switched to freebsd 2 weeks ago
and do not know anything abount it. so I want to ask is there any highly
compressed filesystem like cramfs or squashfs [we think a live CD should not
ask a user to install any software, so filesystems directedly supported by
FreeBSD are perferred] ? Which one is better [I mean compression rate] ? Can
anyone gives me a hint?

Thank you
Sherry Zhang