accessing BIOS and RAID info on old Compaqs

George Fazio gfazio at n3gqf.us
Mon Oct 30 12:55:34 UTC 2006

Dave,

In answer to question 1, it's been a little while (at least 4 year) since I've
worked on Compaq gear. But, if memory serves me correctly, you hit F10 when
the cursor kicks from the left hand side of the screen to the right hand
side. This should be a relatively obvious change, and I believe it's also
accomanied by a system beep.

However, most of the older Compaq gear required a system partition and  the
BIOS config was installed there. If you fdisk'd the drive and did not load
the Compaq system partition back in, you may have problems. That said, there
were a few system (espeically towards "the end") that had a normal BIOS that
could be accessed without the system partition loaded. I'm fairly certain
that F10 was still the correct key to press in that case as well.

HP bought Compaq, and they may still have some of the "legacy" drivers and
software on the [HP] support site.

In answer to question 2, I'm a FBSD newbie and really have no idea on that
one.

Hope that helps.

George