What's -STABLE?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 06:27:57 UTC 2006

Lane wrote:

> I'm trying to help a guy with a dial-up connection upgrade/update to 6.X, or
> even 5.X.  He's on 4.2 and we can't seem to get cvsup to install, nor can he
> get the whole "ball-o-wax" download from /usr/ports/etc/etc/ports/ports.tgz
>
> So I'm thinking he should use sysinstall to do an upgrade.

Correct

> I figure he should go to "options" and set the "Release Name," and then just
> do an install.  But I don't know what is the current "Release Name" for
> stable.  I tried "6.1-RELEASE" on my system, but that failed.

Not correct.

> Could one of ya'll who has recently (like in the last several days, or weeks)
> downloaded and installed FreeBSD tell me what your "options" menu says
> in "Release Name" from sysinstall?

6.1-RELEASE is the  correct Release Name, but as you have discovered,
you cannot use sysinstall from 4.2 to install it.  You've got to
download the install media and cut yourself a CD or some such so you
end up running the 6.1 sysinstall.

Apart from anything else, changes in sysinstall mean that you won't get
a kernel installed if you don't use the 6.1 sysinstall.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW