Unable to get fetch expat-2.0.0._1 from selected media

Matthew Pope mpope at teksavvy.com
Sat Oct 28 23:22:43 UTC 2006

Environment:
FreeBSD 6.1 (p10) Release
Asus motherboard on Intel P4
IDE drives
Realtek network adaptor chipset  (no problems so far with that)
ATAPI CDROM/writer
Behind firewall. (no problems so far with that)

Hello,
I'd like to add the xorg distribution set to my existing FreeBSD system
recently upgraded to release 6.1.
A) When I boot from the Hard disk and attempt to load the distribution
from the CD-ROM (Disk 0 as requested), I get:
"unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media"

B) When I boot from either the hard disk, or the CD-ROM, and try to
source xorg from a FreeBSD FTP server, I get:
"unable to fetch expat-2.0.0_1 from selected media"

C) I've noted through trial and error that when booting from the Hard
disk, I need to remove the "-p10" from the release name in the options
screen or it will reject all FTP servers as not being able to source for
my distribution.  This is ephemeral and not related to my question, more
a bug report actually.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or a debug path would be helpful.
Thanks,
Matthew