HA Cluster based on promise VTrack Mxxx

Damian Wiest dwiest at vailsys.com
Wed Oct 25 17:06:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:56:19AM +0200, bsd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out which hardware to build my HA cluster with.
>
> I have seen various promise systems which seems quite interesting
> (VTrack M210p) but FreeBSD is not mentionned as an "official suported
> OS" on their brochure.
>
> Has anyone build such cluster with this kind of attachement.
>

> The cluster I was thinking about will be built with :
>
> - 2 nodes Pentium Xeon with SCSI card
> - 1 VTrack External Storage M210p (this one has automatic failure
> detection included on It's hardware).
> - Linux-HA as a control solution
>

> Has anyone built such cluster with these hardware ?
>
> If not what have you been using ?
>

> Sincerly yours.

I wish you had asked two or three weeks ago as I setup a couple of
VTrak M500f arrays, but they were attached to Windows servers.  If we
get any more in, I could probably do a quick test with FreeBSD.

The M500f supports fibre channel, SCSI and iSCSI so I would assume that
if you have an appropriate driver for one of those protocols, then
it should work for you.  Array configuration can be done very simply
either through the network management port, serial port or HTTP interface.
The HTTP interface is very nice and doesn't depend on Java or
Internet Explorer, but it does require Javascript support on the client
end to work properly.  I'd definitely recommend this controller if you
have the cash to spare.

I know you mentioned external arrays, but a lot of people are reporting
success with the Promise SATA and LSI MegaRAID controllers.

Someone asked a similar question on the freebsd-hardware a few weeks
ago, but I didn't see any replies.

-Damian

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org/msg01521.html