Bug with tcsh? : if evaluating true instead of false

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 16:46:54 UTC 2006

> Ok, so I tried to make a simple script to add users so I wouldn't have
> to type in groups/pw over and over again... the problem is that it's not
> behaving like it should =o.

[ ...8<... Removed a bunch of lines ...8<... ]

IMHO, if you need to script something, use /bin/sh. It's the standard
shell interpreter on all flavors of UNIX and Linux (except maybe MacOS
X). All of the rc scripts are written with it. So why bother with
another shell?

Here's an interesting read on the topic:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
BTW, Tom Christiansen who wrote this is co-author of "Programming
Perl" from O'Reilly.

So, Garret, if you need help with this, I have a /bin/sh version of
the script you're trying to do. Just drop me a line and I'll send it
to you.

Just my two cents :)

David
--