Copying binaries to new server

James Smallacombe james at pil.net
Tue Oct 24 16:32:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Eric wrote:

> James Smallacombe wrote:
> > A couple of months ago, I spent a couple of weeks compiling and configuring
> > the latest FBSD, apache, perl, qmail and the bazzilion modules, patches and
> > addon apps that go with all of it on an existing server, and ironing out all
> > the upgrade issues that entailed.
> >
> > Since then, due to apparent hardware problems with that server, I just put
> > together a new server using new hardware.
> >
> > The old hardware was dual P-III, Adaptec SCSI RAID 1
> >
> > The new hardware is single Xeon, LSI SAS RAID 1
> >
> > Both running 6.2-Prerelease.
> >
> > Is there any reason I shouldn't just copy all of /usr and /var from the old
> > server, or do I really need to compile everything anew and sort out any
> > simlinks to other file systems?
> >
> > Please copy me directly, since I am no subscribed
> >
> > TIA!
> >

> why not just a dump/restore of the file systems in question?

That's what I'm asking...I just want to make sure that binaries compiled on a
dual PIII wouldn't have stability issues running on a single Xeon...I know
they're both I386, but am uncertain as to how system-specific binaries can
be...

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for The Delaware
james at pil.net                        Valley in PA, NJ and DE
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net