how to use the freebsd help

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:12:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:21:19PM +0100, shonbir singh tomar wrote:

> hello,
>   i have installed the freebsd but i  dont know how to use it after
> installation a black scrren comes prompting for login and password after
> login by root or user a # or $ sign appears its the console mode how i
> want to use window mode how can i use it plz help me

You have some studying to do.
FreeBSD uses X-Windows to create graphics screens and windows.
The current X-windows system used in FreeBSD is called X.org.
You may have installed this during the regular installation if
you selected that option, so it might already be there and just
needs starting.  If not you will have to install it.

The FreeBSD Handbook covers this quite extensively.  Go to:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

As for which window manager you use, it is really a matter of taste
and what you want to accomplish.   I use AfterStep because it gives
me good working screens and handles all the utilities I need to run
without a lot of extra garbage or bloat.   Some people prefer KDE or
Gnome or others.   You might, over time, want to experiment with each
of the main ones to get your own ideas.

Then you will need to learn something about running under UNIX.  It is
quite different than a Microsloth system or a MAC.  You have your hands
right on the system in FreeBSD and it makes very few assumptions for
you.  You need to decide what you want to do and then install and run
the things you want.    There are many books on using UNIX.  But, start
with the FreeBSD Handbook that is online.
On useful section might be:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/basics.html
and another:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/common-tasks.html

There is no magic about learning FreeBSD.  You just have to read a lot
and try out everything.   You should give yourself time to experiment
with it as that will be the best way to learn.

Once you get the hang of it, you will begin to discover the magic
that is inside of FreeBSD.

////jerry