HAL/FreeBSD & Metacity Compositor

Jeff Molofee nehe at cruzinternet.com
Mon Oct 23 23:36:34 UTC 2006

Is there any documentation specifically for HAL on FreeBSD? DBUS is
working great, hald and policy kit are enabled in rc.conf. I see devices
listed under my computer. But I'm not sure how to mount them correctly.

I know it's a stupid thing to ask, but do I still need a mount point in
fstab? It seems I do. And when mounting a USB key, how come it will
mount once, but will not mount a second or third time after it has been
unplugged?

Also, is there any reason my system would be freezing up hard while it
scans the sd slots on my printer? It seems the machine freezes (as in
nothing new can happen), but I can still switch from one window to
another. If I drop to console CTL-ALT-F1, I can see it scanning the
printer sd slots over and over and failing... after a bit the system
returns to normal... and everything I've clicked to that point opens or
runs.

Finally does metacity actually support compositor on FreeBSD? I've tried
to add the "eye candy", but have had no luck at all compiling metacity
with the --enable-compositor flag. I do however see the compositor
options in gnome config.