Flash player 9 Beta is Live

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sun Oct 22 17:07:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006, at 09:46:45 -0400, Derrick Edwards wrote:
>   I am not able to get this to work. I downloaded, unpacked, changed
> the permissions of the flash player and executed it.  All I get is
> the adobe flashplayer dialog box. I tried to input an URL in the
> dialog box and it does nothing.
> Any help would be appreciated... Also can this be used inside of kde
> konqueor? v/r

I got the same results with the standalone player. I'm not sure the
solution to that.

If you want to use Flash 9 inside a browser (which seems to work
fairly well with the exception of sound), then you need the Linux plugin
version off their website and a Linux version of a browser such as
linux-opera or linux-firefox. With them only producing the plugin for
Linux, then you're kinda stuck with running a Linux binary browser for
now. I tried the linuxpluginwrapper and a native browser before and it
worked fairly OK with Flash 6, but had some problems even with version
7 so I don't think version 9 will work through that method.

Also, if you need sound in Flash, you're better sticking with version 7
for now since they've used ALSA for their sound in version 9 which is
Linux specific.

If you want to see them make native Flash for FreeBSD or improve the
sound support so we can at least use the Linux binary with sound, here
are three ideas that might help:

1) Ask them on their official wish form:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

2) Register your machine(s) with BSDStats which can help prove that
there is a market for FreeBSD support:

http://bsdstats.org/

3) Sign the Flash for FreeBSD petition which already has almost 3,000
signatures:

http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)