BTX Halted on 6.1 but not 5.4

Chris eagletree at hughes.net
Sun Oct 22 12:49:02 UTC 2006

> My question is, is there a good probability that if I install 5.4
> and cvsup to RELENG_6 that it will work. I didn't see anything that
> actually gave a clear definition of the BTX Halted error and am
> wondering if I put in 5 or 6 hours on this box, does the BTX Halted
> error provide any indication that it may have an issue anyway
> beyond just sysinstall? The cost of a mobo and CPU for a test
> system will end up a pretty cheap alternative if the hours start
> adding up.

Just to not leave the question without a searchable answer. Starting
with 5.4 and cvsupping to 6.2 got around the issue.  Recap is 6.1
Release wouldn't boot on a Compaq Presario 5WV280 Athlon 900, but
after loading the 5.4 ISO, updating source and jumping directly to
6.2 (without any technical issues in the jump), the 6.2 does work
perfectly after rebuild of world. I've not found any
incompatibilities yet. This is with all BIOS options enabled. I
haven't the bandwidth to repeat the scenario with 6.2 Beta.