[FreeBSD-Q] Creating .so libraries on FreeBSD?

Dan Bikle dan.bikle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 08:25:16 UTC 2006

Hi again,

I got scrAPI working on my beastie box.

It turns out the tidy I was using was
from my /usr/ports directory rather than from
sourceforge.

I had to struggle a bit with the sourceforge tidy.

My beastie box was missing a bunch of the gnu tools like libtoolize,
autoconf, automake...

Once I got those installed,
I followed the directions attached to tidy.

Eventually, I ran a make command which made
a whole lot of stuff.  One of those things
was a .so file which was named libtidy-0.99.so.0

I copied it to /tmp/libtidy.so and copied that
to the location pointed to by the Tidy.path
variable.

Mine looks like this:

Tidy.path='/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/scrapi-1.2.0/lib/tidy/libtidy.so
'

I'm not sure the best place to put the above variable.

I put it in my controller but that is not a good
DRY place.

But, now I got scrAPI working on my beastie box and
I'm feeling good.

To answer my own question:
How do I make .so files?

ans1: use the Makefile
ans2: use gcc

I saw this fly by on my terminal:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wno-parentheses -Wno-unused -o .libs/tidy tidy.o
../src/.libs/libtidy.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib

-Dan

bikle at bikle.com
http://bikle.com