conary vs ports

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 20 14:50:13 UTC 2006

On 10/20/06, ke han <ke.han at redstarling.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with the differences between conary and
> ports?
> Its my understanding the rpath folks have rethought package
> management at a very high level and have something more to offer than
> gentoo's portage (which some feel is the closest thing in usability
> to FreeBSD's ports).
> Does anyone have a hands-on perspective of this?  I don't mean that
> "ports already has 16,000+ ready to go ports and conary has much
> fewer".  Nor am I looking for the usual FreeBSD vs Linux
> perspective.  I'm looking for a tech and architecture perspective of
> just conary vs ports.

I took a look at their whitepaper, which btw makes a nice
reading for porters, as part of my ongoing research. The
idea is cool, but not ground-breaking. And anyway, it's
not the ideas, but their exchange that make the wheels
turning in package management.

Should you be interested in other ideas, please look
through a list of package management related links:
http://wikitest.freebsd.org/Upak/PMS_Links

If you think you could take part in taking Conary's or
any other system's advances into ports, or into packaging
world at large, it would be my pleasure to join the effort.

Thanks!