Why csh on Root?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 20 09:58:34 UTC 2006

Joerg Pernfuss wrote:

>/bin/sh is actually an ash. Minimal POSIX sh with a few additions that
>don't help it anyway near a friendly shell for interactive use.

With "set -o emacs" or "set -o vi", and the existence of job control, sh
is a perfectly adequate *root* shell, IMHO - though I'm a csh person myself.

If you do a lot of maintenance in multi-user mode then you can set
yourself up another id 0 account with a different name, and use any
shell you like, and even make it's home directory somewhere other that
/root.  If you have multiple individuals needing superuser accounts each
can have their own separate superuser account, personal setup
preferences etc. and you get a limited amount of accountability, too.

--Alex