tao.thought.org is back.....

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Oct 20 05:42:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:16:33PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

	[[ save the electrons ]]

> Nope.  What you've asked for now is different than what you
> originally asked for; if you don't want email for all users
> @thought.org to be delivered locally on one machine, that's a
> different problem, and it cannot be solved with a mailertable alone.
> If it is only a few users, consider setting up .forward files.
>
> Otherwise, you will have to set up a virtusertable instead, by adding:
>
>   FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl
>   VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(`thought.org')dnl
>
> ...in your sendmail.mc, and then create /etc/mail/virtusertable with
> something like:
>
>   kline at thought.org	kline at zen.thought.org
>   zivic at thought.org	zivic at ns1.thought.org
>   grzegorz at thought.org	grzegorz at ethos.thought.org
>
> ...and do a "make maps" in /etc/mail, or run:
>
> /usr/sbin/makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/
> virtusertable

	This is what I have found to work for (*mostly*) just-me.
	I willstick with sendmail and FBSD at least for my DNS machine
	and my laptop.  Using virtusertable as per your example at least
	I know how to get my mail routed to ethos if tao decied to take
	another "trap".

> Note that splitting delivery within a domain like this is generally
> undesirable compared with setting up a central mailhost and using
> IMAP to read the mail from the clients, rather than trying to deliver
> mail to individual client machines.  Because if you want to deliver
> to these individual client machines, you need to set up mail on all
> of them, and make sure your DNS entries are right, preferably by
> creating MX records for each new mailserver, etc...

	For my vvery small domain of computers, it's easier to set up my
	DNS and MX files.   If I were doing this for-real or for a larger
	set up, I would have a mailserver and use IMAP.

> >	Is there ay way of testing this after I have set up my table
> >	entries?  In other words, how do I re-initialize things without
> >	having to  (ugh) *reboot*.
>
> Of course you can restart sendmail without having to reboot...

	I did the makemap hash for my access/[db] map.  Missed
	virtusertable.db, and just read the Makefile and found the
	maps: target.  ...This has been a learning experience and I
	thank you gentlemen.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix