Recommended Hardware

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Oct 19 21:44:16 UTC 2006

Wayne wrote:

> If I was going to build or spec' a system, what subset of the
> supported hardware is best?  I've heard cons, like manufacturer's
> apathy or negativity towards FreeBSD.  I guess Pros would include
> stable, actively developed drivers, consistency and long term
> availability of products (unlike manufacturers who release 3 totally
> different boards in a year with the same model number!), etc...

Pick something you think you like the look of and type in all the
various critical components as searches to Google, along with freebsd,
or just start by searching the mailing lists  You'll discover some
reasonable absolutes like sil3112 controllers are rubbish, but otherwise
you'll get a variety of opinions.  There are no absolutes as everything
depends to some extent on the bottom line - how much are you prepared to
pay?

Also worth checking out sites like tomshardware.com for mainboard
reviews etc (if you can face the adverts) and just general googles -
usually the detritus rises to the top :-(

That strategy will work for building/buying yourself one or two
machines.  If you're buying a shedload for a machine room somewhere then
pick some manufactures like Dell, HP etc, pick the model numbers that
interest you and type those in to Google along with freebsd.

Those have worked for me so far, and yes, it is labour intensive.

--Alex