having more than one process write to one log

Zbigniew Szalbot zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org
Thu Oct 19 20:20:18 UTC 2006

Hi there,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Eric wrote:

>> I will appreciate your advice. Is it possible and *safe* to allow two
>> different processes (dovecot and exim) to write to one log? Better not do
>> it? I would like to have both data in one log but... don't want to cause
>> problems. I don't think Windows would allow it. How about FBSD?
>
> isnt that the default? right now i see postfix, dovecot, amavisd, etc all log
> to /var/log/maillog

With the exception that my exim writes to /var/log/exim/mainlog which I am
ok with, logs are rotated, etc. My question was whether it is ok for
dovecot to join the party.

Still new to FBSD and that's why I am not sure if the way I would like to
set it up is OK. If it is not, then I have no problem keeping logs
separate. I could direct exim's logging to /var/log/maillog (this I can do
:) but then I wonder if I didn't have to edit the global crontab to take
care of logs being rotated, etc.?

Thanks to all who have responded!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot