Flash player 9 Beta is Live

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Oct 19 17:38:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006, at 13:08:50 -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 06:32:14PM +0300, Dimiter Ivanov wrote:
>
> > http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/10/beta_is_live.html
> >
> > I have downloaded the stand alone player and it works out of the
> > box. Anyone having expirience with the browser plugin ?
> >
> > I'm using 6.1 Release and KDE 3.5.4
>
> OK.   That sounds promising.
>
> But, is this limited to KDE or how about plain Firefox running
> on plain ole FreeBSD 6.1 with a fairly plain Windows manager?
> Does it requite the Lunix compatibility stuff?

Yes, the plugin would need the Linux compatibility and a Linux binary
browser (such as linux-firefox or linux-opera).

I tried the standalone version yesterday on FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE
[amd64] and I couldn't get the standalone version to play anything (it
would just not do anything when opening files -- just sits at the
white background of the window). I did try the Linux browser plugin
along with linux-opera and it worked somewhat.

It played the visual elements of Flash OK, however there is no sound
since they're using ALSA for the sound in version 9. I also noticed
that after playing Flash content, the area where the content was
would turn a solid grey color and it seemed to lock the browser up a
bit. If I closed out of that tab it seemed to be OK.

Normally I have Flash disabled for all but a couple sites since it uses
up tons of RAM and really slows down the browser after use (version 7
at least), so I unloaded 9 and went back to 7 for now where sound at
least works.

Hopefully Adobe will add in alternate sound support methods so other
platforms besides Linux can have sound like in version 7, and of course
I hope they release a native FreeBSD binary sometime too so we can use
native browsers.

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)