Why csh on Root?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 19 16:49:02 UTC 2006

RW writes:
> There is an alternative uid 0 user called toor which you can use if you
> want
> to use bash as root. OTOH hand there is a school of thought that you
> shouldn't be too comfortable as root.

	My thanks to all.  On all the systems in question, bash
ends up on the same partition as root, but the points are
well-taken.

	One thing I was trying to accomplish is to have a bell in
the  root prompt.  In the .cshrc file is a string

set prompt="\007\!# "

	I have also tried replacing the \007 with the actual
Control-G and even a \a.  All produce an attempt to render a bell
but what is sent to the remote terminal is ^G1#
as in the actual ASCII characters ^ and G.

I am not sure what to do to correct this problem as I do not get
it in bash.  A \a or \007 is sent literally.

	The env output for root on this system shows no environmental
variables that should inhibit the beep so I am kind of stumped.

Martin McCormick