tao.thought.org is back.....

Jan Grant jan.grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:09:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:57:08AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> > By setting the "MX" records for `thought.org' up so that the one with
> > the lowest value of them all points to that specific server.
> >
> > This should be configured in the name-server which hosts the DNS zone
> > for `thought.org'.
>
> 	This would work [or ought to!]; right now, all my mail echange
> 	entries are equi-valued at 50.  But this seems like a back door
> 	way of dealing with sendmail.  I'm the first to admit that it's a
> 	less tha optimal suite, obscure beyond words, (etc).  But I'd
> 	like to understand how to resolve this problem with senmail....

I would have suggested the DNS approach except that when I looked,
tao.thought.org didn't exist in your DNS (as an A record) and since ns1
looked like a dialup account, I assumed you're using NAT.

Your mailertable entry on ns1 should probably just read

thought.org	relay:tao.thought.org
	or maybe
thought.org	smtp:tao.thought.org

and tao.thought.org should have "thought.org" in it's w class: that is,
sendmail.cw or local-whatever-the-file-is-called.

You might need "makemap" to recreate the database from your plain file.

I suspect that you have an alias set up on ns1 that you're fiddling
with. In order to get it to stick, you probably need to run
"newaliases". Since that's run on reboot if required, that'd explain
your reboot-to-reconfigure behaviour.

Cheers,
jan

PS. If sendmail config is such an arcane art (and it is, unless you do
it regularly) you might find there's mileage in installing an
alternative MTA.

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/