Small Redundant web/mail setup

Robert Joosten robert at ml.erje.net
Wed Oct 18 16:20:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

> 1- Is this a viable solution, I mean by that, Is it Like this big ISP
> are set up ?

Not quite likely, but it's possible ofcourse.

> 2- Is there a better way to replicate data than RSYNC (without going
> to san of expensive hardware) ? If not, is there a hotsync feature (I
> mean by that as soon as server A modify something, server B knows and
> replicate)?

IMO there's no better solution than rsync, besides somewhat more hardware
/ not that I'm aware of no.

You could also build one fileserver able to serve nfs, store mail in
maildir format and put 2 boxes online running mail/http daemons. Return
one server get loadbalancer instead and put that online. That would be
more my idea of having high-availability. Ofcourse you could also put a
layer 3 switch in front of it instead of a loadballancer. Make sure the
hardware of the fileserver is at least able to do raid 1 and has a
dual powersupply. That will help the keep the thing up.

Hth,
Robert