Installing and upgrading ports

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Wed Oct 18 14:48:27 UTC 2006

Eric wrote:
> i find portmaster > all. give it a whirl. No dependencies, its actively
> maintained, etc.

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that one.  So there are three competing
technologies - portupgrade, portmaster, and portmanage. And I'm not
even sure what any of them offer over the simple 'make install clean'
method. Doesn't the make method also take care of dependencies? All of
them have a raft of options, most of which make me dizzy:-)  I've been
using portmanage, but only because the syntax is real easy.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.