Flash Plugin not working

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Oct 18 04:35:13 PDT 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 06:37, Subhro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE on i386 hardware. I have installed
> linux-firefox and linux-flashplugin from the ports collection. The
> same is iterated by pkg_info.
>
> [bsdboy at phoenix ~]$ pkg_info | grep flash
> linux-flashplugin-7.0r68 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
> [bsdboy at phoenix ~]$ linux-firefox
> [bsdboy at phoenix ~]$ pkg_info | grep firefox
> firefox-1.5.0.7,1   Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
> linux-firefox-1.5.0.7 Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
>
> However when I am trying to open any sites from linux-firefox, the
> embedded flash applications are not displayed. Also the
browser/usr/local/bin/firefox
> complains about missing plugin.

I notice that you have both versions of Firefox. That's OK, but you can only
run one at a time. If you have a native Firefox process running and you try
to open  linux-firefox, it just causes the original process to open a new
window. I'm wondering if that's what's happened here.

What I have at the moment is native Firefox and linux-opera. I found that
linux-firefox had unclear fonts - possibly they weren't properly
anti-aliased. There were also some problems with linux-firefox not being able
to browse to external applications. Opera is better under linux emulation, in
my experience, and can use the flash-plugin.