File system full

Paul Murphy paul.murphy at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 18 11:14:05 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-10-18 07:53, "Office of CEO- rithy4u.NET" <root at rithy4u.net> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> My firewall server was running out of space on / partition I
>> have try to reboot/fsck and delete all unneccessary files
>> inside / but I still get 12 MB of free space with total 495 MB
>> worth of that partition. Any ideas?
>
> First of all, try to track down where all the space has gone, by
> using `df' and `du' with the -x option.  For example, you can get
> a good idea of which places in your root filesystem are the top-10
> users of space with:
>
>     # cd /
>     # du -xm . | sort -nr | head -10
>
> If this doesn't show up a lot of stuff, then there's probably a
> rogue process which has opened a file and then removed it, so
> it's not directly visible by traversing the tree with `du', but
> you can still look for it with:
>
>     # fstat -f / | sort -k +8
>
> After you get this sort of information, we can make more informed
> suggestions about the best way to move forward :)

  I have been trying to track down a similar problem! Using the
above method I think I have found 'natd' to be the culprit. Should
'natd' receive a signal when 'alias.log' rolls over? Restarting
'natd' seems to have releases some megabytes.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0642-0, 17/10/2006
Tested on: 18/10/2006 7:13:37 AM