Problem updating mplayer

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:50:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:37:04PM -0500, ajm wrote:

> "Try the following as root or su to root"
>
> cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
> make config
>
> "then deselect from the menu the Win32 option"
>
> make install clean
>
> "note:  you will not have win32 codecs support"
Normally with mplayer I just download the latest and greatest from mplayerhq.hu and just hit configure && gmake...

As to win32 codes, it is just a binary blob you have to unpack to a standard location. I have it unpacked under /usr/lib/win32 in my box.

The instructions are clearly given in the mplayer website and the associated html documentation.

Sorry, I am not able to get that out of the top of my head since it is a whie since I did that.

The advantage is that you have latest and most optimised mplayer for your platform.

You may prefer the ports install strategy if you are a puritan...

HTH,
Girish