LDAP home directories

Jahilliya jahilliya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 05:49:23 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Chandler, Jay <chandler at chapman.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a way to do home directory mapping through LDAP?  We've
> got user directories mounted via NFS to /usr/users and would like to be
> able to type in "cd ~ted" and go to Ted's home directory, perhaps in
> /usr/users/students/ted.
>

> We do it in Linux regularly, but I'm trying to lead a migration to
> FreeBSD-sadly, haven't done LDAP within BSD of any sort before.
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> --
>
> Jay Chandler
>
> Network Administrator, Chapman University

Hey,

We are using FreeBSD with Samba+OpenLDAP, each user effectively needs
mapping to a local user so what we've used to give us the ability to type :
   cd ~user
and get their home dir, as well as type :
   id 10000
to get their username/groups... is to install nss_ldap, pam_ldap, edit
the files in /etc/pam.d/, there is a lot of good information on this,
have a look at the Samba docs as well as the documentation for
pam_ldap and nss_ldap.