What's so compelling about FreeBSD?

Jim Stapleton stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 10:19:50 PDT 2006

> Also, I'm not sure when you guys tried Gentoo, but as of late (within
> the past ~1 year), the quality of the packages and system as an OS has
> improved quite a bit, in the sense that many stable items now install
> and work properly in the OS. Another off-topic comment I admit, but I
> thought it should be mentioned...

I've been trying to deal with it for the past two months, on and off.
OpenOffice would not compile, Xorg took a lot of tweaking and a few
attempts, and a few other programs provided a bit of challange. Only
KDE went more smoothly than it did in FBSD.

> I'd like to see portage in FBSD though, since ruby is pretty kludgy.
> Either that or a different means of recording package data and
> dependencies (been thinking of Perl for a while..).

Where does Ruby fit into this? To my knowledge, ports uses Perl to my
knowledge, and Portage uses Python.

And while I wouldn't mind a few of the portage features, such as about
10k more packages, and a few of the interface/display options, I'd
still rather use FBSD any day.

-Jim