python-mode in emacs

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Oct 16 23:19:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 12:56:01AM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> Emacs doesn't seem to load files in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
> installed by ports. E.g python-mode installs files in this directory,
> but python-mode is not available in emacs afterwards. I have to manually
> tell emacs to look in these files.

Well, it doesn't cause any harm to add to your ~/.emacs

;; Add python-mode
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
  (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

> Are there any way to get emacs to automatically read files in this
> directory? Am I missing something? Shouldn't the ports system by default
> be setup in a way that this would work?

I don't know. But having Emacs auto-load every mode from there
doesn't seem a good idea. And the port can't do that either, since
it's a per-user decision.

> 	Svein Halvor

Regards,
-cpghost.