startkde: cannot start kdeinit. Check your installation

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:40:01 PDT 2006

On Saturday 14 October 2006 11:44, Karl Agee wrote:
> Don:
>
>  ls -la /usr/local/bin/kdeinit
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  39876 Oct  6 01:18
> /usr/local/bin/kdeinit
>  ls -la /usr/local/bin/startkde
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  11828 Oct 13 17:04
> /usr/local/bin/startkde
>  ls -la .xinitrc
> -rw-r--r--  1 kdagee  wheel  37 Oct 13 19:14 .xinitrc
>
> I use X all the time.  I use windowmaker as my
> environment.  Works fine.  Using X.org.
>
>  cat .xinitrc
> /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker
> #exec startkde
>
> when I try starting kde I remove the # from the
> starkde line and put it in the wmaker line.
>
> Nothing abnormal in my .kde directory or owned by
> others.
>
>  ls -la .kde
> total 8
> drwx------   3 kdagee  wheel   512 Oct 13 09:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x  43 kdagee  wheel  3584 Oct 14 09:25 ..
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 kdagee  wheel    24 Oct 12 21:01
> cache-enterprise.myhome.westell.com ->
> /var/tmp/kdecache-kdagee
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 kdagee  wheel    24 Oct 12 21:59
> cache-myhome.westell.com -> /var/tmp/kdecache-kdagee
> drwx------   8 kdagee  wheel   512 Oct 12 21:01 share
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 kdagee  wheel    19 Oct 13 09:30
> socket-myhome.westell.com -> /tmp/ksocket-kdagee
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 kdagee  wheel    15 Oct 13 09:30
> tmp-myhome.westell.com -> /tmp/kde-kdagee
>

> --Karl

Hi Karl,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had to weld up a special grill to go
over a fire pit, and it took a long time. Then of course, it had to be tested
with steaks, and of course, lots of beer. It worked great, looks good, I
might have to sell some of these.

I think I've exhausted all of the things I can tell you to check. I haven't
exhausted all of my knowledge, but I can't think of anything else to say.
Somewhere, something doesn't have the correct permissions. Startkde is a
script, if you go through it and check the permissions on what it's calling
up, it may give you a better idea of where the problem is. When you find the
problem, and I'm sure you will, it's probably going to be something so easy
that you'll be kicking yourself for not seeing it. The brain is a funny
thing, it will most often see what is expected, rather than what is.

Don