Xorg -configure results a black screen

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Oct 14 10:10:07 PDT 2006

--On October 14, 2006 6:02:38 PM +0200 Bjoern Thomsen
<bt at thomsen-it-solutions.de> wrote:

> I am new to FreeBSD. I am trying to configure Xorg but when I fire up the
> command
>
> "Xorg -configure" I get back a black screen.

What do you mean by this?  Do you mean that you don't see any text on the
console telling how to test it?  Or do you mean that, when you try to test
it, you get a blank screen when X starts up?  By blank screen, do you mean
black?  Or does it have a pattern?

>  When I try to start X it is
> telling me a failure message:
>
> "Can't open display" .

How are you tryint to start X?

When you run Xorg -configure, an xorg.conf.new file is created in /root/.
To run that you need to follow the instructions printed out on the screen
to use the conf file you just created.  Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

If you want X to start using startx or xdm or some other window manager,
you first have to copy the newly-created xorg.conf.new file to
/etc/xorg.conf.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas