Non English Spam

Beech Rintoul freebsd at alaskaparadise.com
Sat Oct 14 06:04:41 PDT 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 19:09, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > I'm getting a ton of spam every day  that comes from China, Japan and
> > Korea. Spam Assassin completely ignores it because it has all non-english
> > characters and slows kmail to a crawl loading. Is there a way to filter
> > on non-english either using Spam Assassin or procmail?
> >
> > Suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Install the IP::Country perl modules (port: net/p5-IP-Country) and
> uncomment the lines in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre to
> enable Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry plugin, which causes
> the Bayesian filters to learn which countries relay most spam to you.
>
> Look for the discussion on 'ok_locales' in the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
> perldoc.  Set that to 'en' and messages in character sets other than
> anything based on the Latin (and possibly Greek) alphabet will get a
> higher spam score.  You can put that into
> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf for a site-wide effect or into
> per-user ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs config files.

Thank you. Your suggestion appears to be working. I was getting 75 or more of
non-english spam daily and It was becoming a real pain in the backside to
deal with. Now spamassassin is tagging those with a higher score and procmail
is sending them to /dev/null. Looking at the log, all my "normal" mail (like
this list) are getting through. Hopefully spam will now be down to a
tolerable level.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com