Hard Drive Issues

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 12:34:35 PDT 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Richard McIntyre wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem,
> Oct 13 03:01:31 tco1 kernel: ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA
> status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=181778119
> Oct 13 07:11:15 tco1 kernel: ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA
> status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=181778119
>
> I'm assuming that particular sector on the drive is dying, I have
> backed everything up on the drive, can anyone give me more
> information, should the drive simply be replaced or is it possible
> that this is simply a TOC error and could be corrected by newfs to
> the drive?
>
> I'm guessing it will need to be replaced, output of smartctl is
> below....

You can try doing a "dd if=/dev/ad2 of=/dev/null bs=64k" in order to
read all of the sectors on the disk and get a better feel for how
well it is doing.  But it certainly appears that your drive has run
into enough errors that it no longer has spare sectors available to
replace the failing sectors-- you should replace it soon.

--
-Chuck