MySQL and Roundcube Problem - db won't start!

Spiros Papadopoulos spap13 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 13 02:18:48 PDT 2006

Hi,

could you please try and run this:

# /usr/local/libexec/mysqld -u root

you probably want to add an ampersand '&' at the end of the line.

and let me/us know if it works. I am sure this is not the appropriate way to
do this, but maybe it will get you started.
I am also curious for the response from experienced people for the above
command which i think will work.
All these provided that you have the mysql server installed..

Regards, Spiros

On 13/10/06, Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> With the gracious help of a poster here, I managed to get roundcube up and
> running, and had to resort to MySQL, which I know very little of.
>
> After it was all up and running, and we'd added the users and tested their
> access to webmail, we decided to put some more memory into the machine.  So
> a quick shutdown later, and we were powering back up.  Disaster: MySQL
> didn't start and so roundcube mail just gives us 'service currently
> unavailable' !!
>
> I've scoured the MySQL website, FAQ, etc., but can I start the damned
> database?  Can I hell.
>
>    [root at rachi]/usr/local/bin(111): ./mysqladmin start
> ./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'
> exists!
>
> ... and other similar errors.
>
> Fortunately, this server won't be 'production' until teachers and pupils
> come back next week after the Sukkot holidays .. if this had happened when
> the server was being accessed by >95 people, bang would have gone our
> credibility.
>
> Anyone able to help me get the db up and running, whilst I try to learn
> about MySQL before this happens again ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> D.

Spiros Papadopoulos