MySQL and Roundcube Problem - db won't start!

Desmond Coughlan coughlandesmond at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 13 01:21:30 PDT 2006

  Hi,
  With the gracious help of a poster here, I managed to get roundcube up and running, and had to resort to MySQL, which I know very little of.

  After it was all up and running, and we'd added the users and tested their access to webmail, we decided to put some more memory into the machine.  So a quick shutdown later, and we were powering back up.  Disaster: MySQL didn't start and so roundcube mail just gives us 'service currently unavailable' !!

  I've scoured the MySQL website, FAQ, etc., but can I start the damned database?  Can I hell.

    [root at rachi]/usr/local/bin(111): ./mysqladmin start
  ./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

  ... and other similar errors.

  Fortunately, this server won't be 'production' until teachers and pupils come back next week after the Sukkot holidays .. if this had happened when the server was being accessed by >95 people, bang would have gone our credibility.

Anyone able to help me get the db up and running, whilst I try to learn about MySQL before this happens again ?

Thanks.

D.