Hard Drive Issues

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Oct 12 08:15:44 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:27:13AM -0400, Justin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm getting the following errors on the terminal:
>
> ad1: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=186691903
> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DCS,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED>
> LBA=186691903
> g_vfs_done():ad1s1d[READ(offset=95586222080, length=49152)]error = 5
>
> And similar, with the LBA number, offset number, and error=84 changes to
> error=10.
>
> The hard disk drives and data seem to be remaining intact and working.  Can
> someone direct me as to what these errors mean, and if they are serious?

Hmmm.    I don't know all the disk codes and messages, but my practice
is to be really nervous about disks and data and any time new error
messages show up, just replace the disk.  They are so much cheaper
than the data that might get lost.

Hopefully someone else can give you specific information, but
that is my general perspective.

////jerry