Getting started with FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Oct 11 07:54:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 11:53:04AM +0800, ke han wrote:

> Patrick,
> Since you are already knowledgeable of X-11 apps on slackware, this
> opinion may not concern you.
> My opinion of FreeBSD is do not try to configure X-11 desktops and
> apps with it.  Its just too much effort.  I have the same opinion of
> any *nix system that require the user to install/configure their own
> desktop experience.
> If you want a good desktop that does provide updates to some apps
> (firefox included), start with PC-BSD, http://www.pcbsd.org.  This is
> built on FreeBSD 6.x and keeps the base enough as in the FreeBSD.org
> release so as to enable you a true freebsd system so you can still
> use ports or packages in addition to PC-BSD's PBI installer....but
> without the trouble of integrating and maintaining your own desktop
> experience.
> enjoy, ke han

This is not very good advice to give to someone who is trying to
learn FreeBSD.   It is like telling a short person the solution
to their problems is to get taller.

Anyway, configuring X is not much related to the questions the person
is asking.   They are asking more about the relationship of versions
and using CVSUP, etc.

////jerry