Installing Oracle Client 10g on FreeBSD

Scott T. Hildreth shildret at fbsd1.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 10 17:01:18 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 17:09 -0500, Damian Wiest wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:59:34PM +0200, martinko wrote:
> > Mike Friedman wrote:
> > > I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and I want to run a current Oracle
> > > client-only with encryption support.
> > >
> > > First, I installed the Oracle client port, which represents Oracle 7.
> > > But my database support person tells me that's quite old and, in fact,
> > > he couldn't be sure it would work (especially the encryption part) with
> > > the Oracle database I'd be using (which he helps support).  And I was
> > > getting some strange symptoms when I tested it.
> > >
> > > So, he recommended that I download the Oracle 10g Client for Linux.
> > > Since my FreeBSD system is configured for Linux compatibility, I'm
> > > hoping this will work.  However, I can't even get the Installer to
> > > complete!  It keeps telling me that I may not have enough space in my
> > > root partition, even though I'm not trying to install into the root
> > > partition.  (The partition in which I'm installing has lots of space).
> > >
> > > In addition, I should say that the machine on which this Oracle client
> > > will be installed is not running X Windows.  This means I can't use the
> > > installation menus, so I've been running the Installation tool with a
> > > 'response file'.  The response file, however, doesn't have much
> > > flexibility.  In particular, when I'm told I may not have enough space,
> > > it asks me if I want to continue, but there's no way for me to reply
> > > 'yes' from the response file.
> > >
> > > In any case, based on the installation logs, it really looks like the
> > > Installation tool is looking at the root partition for how much space is
> > > available.
> > >
> > > I've found in the FreeBSD handbook an article on installing Oracle 8.0.
> > > But it appears that there have been changes with 10g.  Also, those
> > > instructions seem to assume a server install, so they talk about setting
> > > some shared memory values and other things that may not apply to me anyway.
> > >
> > > Do I have any other options?  I don't want to install the full Oracle
> > > package (client and server), just the client, so that I can write some
> > > perl scripts to query a remote Oracle database.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >

> > Mike, have you considered linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports ?
>
> If all you want to do is use Perl to access the database, then why are
> you bothering with Oracle's client software?  Just use the CPAN module
> to build and install DBD::Oracle.

   He can't, DBD::Oracle uses oci underneath so he needs the Oracle client to get the shared
   libraries.   Mike you also need to compile or install a linux perl and then install DBI & DBD::Oracle
   with the linux perl.  You could use DBD::Proxy instead of installing DBD::Oracle.  It installed
    with DBI.  Type 'perldoc DBD::Proxy' to see the docs.  If you need help, you can email me
   or join the dbi-users at perl.org.