AHCI support in 6.1-RELEASE?

Juha Saarinen juhasaarinen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:06:27 PDT 2006

I'd like to set the ICH7 controller in a Gigabyte 8i955 Royal
motherboard in AHCI mode, as I understand this enables NCQ support for
SATA drives.

However, if I enable AHCI in BIOS, 6.1-RELEASE boots up but can't find
the hard drive in the system even though it shows up as the dmesg
scrolls past. I get a mountroot prompt and have to do a hard reset.

This happens with the GENERIC kernel as updated to p10 and from the
6.1-RELEASE CDs.

Googling hasn't thrown up anything useful yet, so pointers would be
appreciated. Would updating to 6.2-BETA-2 sort it out?

--

Juha