minimum requirements

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Mon Oct 9 12:25:50 PDT 2006

On 10/09/06 12:00, free bsd wrote:
> Thank you everyone for responding to my initial question.
>
>   In hindsight I realize I worded my original inquiry inaccurately.  What I am attempting to determine is how well or if ver 6.1 will work on a 4GB hard drive with a Pentium 4 - 3.06GHz cpu and 1GB ram?  The machine has a 232GB hard drive but I have another 4GB drive sitting around being unused that I was thinking of adding to the machine to configure in a dual boot setup with the 4GB drive being totally allocated to FreeBSD.

Well, as everyone has stated... It depends on what you are doing with
the machine.

I have a 512MB USB device running 5.3-RELEASE, Xorg, Fluxbox, nessus,
nmap, firefox, and a few other tidbits (no ports tree).  Its darn slow
off USB, but it works.  So yeah, 4GB is sufficient... for some amount of
functionality.

If *I* wanted to use a machine, say for a desktop, I'd want no less than
20GB.  I have a 20GB disk for a machine, yet I ran out of space while
trying to set it up the way I wanted.  I had most things setup, then
tried to compile OO.  I fell back to the package though.

Either way, everyones point is... It depends.  But I think most would
say to have a truly useful Desktop, 4GB is a bit slim.  My vote... 20GB+

HTH.