MySQL hangs jail on startup

Steve Price steve at havk.org
Fri Oct 6 12:05:27 PDT 2006

I have a server running 6.1-STABLE.  One of the jails on that machine
runs MySQL 4.1.21.  If I have mysql_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf when I
start the jail it hangs indefinitely.  If I set it to NO the jail starts
fine.  I can then login to the jail via SSH and change it to YES and
start MySQL manually with no problems.

I've tried tweaking all the jail knobs in sysctl, messed around a bit
with REQUIRE and BEFORE in the mysql-server startup script, and tried
some of the mysqld startup options to skip networking, bind only to the
jail's IP, ... but to no avail.

Any pointers on what might be happening and how I go about fixing it?

Thanks.

-steve