vr0: watchdog timeout FreeBSD 6.1-p10 Crashing my backups

perikillo perikillo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 10:08:54 PDT 2006

On 10/4/06, backyard <backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:32 AM, perikillo wrote:
> > > My kernel file is this:
> > >
> > > machine              i386
> > > cpu           I686_CPU
> >
> > You should also list "cpu  I586_CPU", otherwise you
> > will not include
> > some optimizations intended for Pentium or higher
> > processors.
>  >

> are you sure about this??? This statement seems to
> contradict the handbook which says "it is best to use
> only the CPU you have" I would think I686_CPU would
> cause the build know it is higher then a pentium and
> thus use those optimizations. But if this is true...
>

> -brian

Hi people.

   Today i receive a completed FULL backups from all my local clients,
without any message saying:

vr0: watchdog timeout

   I did some changes, in kernel, bacula, and machine:

Machine
   Disable the internal NIC(via) and install one Linksys which use the
same driver vr0.

Kernel:

change the scheduler to the old SCHED_4BSD and maxuser from 10 to 32
like chuck told me.

disable AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO, this is the firs time that i use this option.

Enable IPFILTER to setup the firewall, i was thinking that maybe i
have been atack or something like that, i must check this.

Remove some SCSI drivers.

build the kernel, installed and reboot.

Bacula:

I setup the Heartbeat Interval var in the client and the storage demon
to 1 minute, because there is no formula to know which number is the
best.

   Today my backups where completed succesfully, no horror message, i
have been working with this server this past days, testing, change
here, there, until today, i dont know if it was the NIC, or some
kernel option, but is not very easy to test because is a production
server.

   I check my Firewall logs but there is nothing that give some clue
that i have been atack, good :-)

   Im testing the backup right now, today i will do another
FULL-BACKUPS  from all my local serves and i will bring the backups
from another serves that we have on another building and see if the
system is already stable.

   I will let you now people, thanks for your help.