Disaster recovery.

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Fri Oct 6 08:48:05 PDT 2006

On 2006/10/06 5:34, Grant Peel seems to have typed:
> so the question is ... if I have the dumps on one machine, and I just
> installed a new hard drive on another, in a nutshell, what are the steps to
> restore the failed server. Can I use the FreeBSD 'live' filesystem? Is ther
> a step by step (that I have not found) in the handbook somewhere?

Honestly, the man pages are your friend in these situations, especially
the restore man page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=restore&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

See the "-r" flag especially, which includes a brief example.  If you
are restoring from another machine, things get a bit more interesting
though, which is why I always like to keep around a Freesbie disk.
http://www.freesbie.org/
Its nice to have a full OS on a CD available for use.